4 1/2 cups fresh tart cherries, pitted and halved
4 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 1/4 cups plus 1 Tbsp. sugar
2 Flaky Pie Crusts (see recipe)
1 1/2 Tbsp. Earth Balance (cold-pressed nonhydrogenated margarine)• Place the cherries in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, cover, and cook until most of the juice has been extracted. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and 1 1/4 cups of the Florida Crystals. Stir in the hot cherries and mix well.
• Cook over low heat until thickened, stirring frequently. Remove and cool. To reach the desired consistency, add either water to thin or cornstarch to thicken.
• Preheat the oven to 375°F.
• Prepare the pie crust dough and divide in half. Shape each piece to fit an 8 x 9-inch pie pan.
• Place one crust in the pan and fill with the cooled cherry mixture. Dot with the margarine.
• Moisten the edge of the bottom crust, top with the other crust, and crimp the edges together. Make a slit in the middle of the top crust to allow steam to escape. Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. of the Florida Crystals.
• Bake for approximately 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a rack.
Makes 8 to 10 servings
Almost all of us grew up eating meat, wearing leather, and going to circuses and zoos. We never considered the impact of these actions on the animals involved. For whatever reason, you are now asking the question: Why should animals have rights? Read more.